Unexpected Pi

A very kind colleague of mine has lent me his Raspberry Pi, so that I can have a little play with it. Here it is being hooked up on my workbench:

I used the standard Debian 'squeeze' image, since that's what I've been messing about with recently. After checking that I had internet access, I went off and installed the mono runtime, like this:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install mono-runtime

...after doing that I ran the C# webserver example that I had already written - and it works a treat! I didn't compile the code on the Raspberry Pi, I simply copied the exe file over and ran it with the mono command. The code was compiled in monodevelop running on Debian in VirtualBox.

Anyway, here is another photo, taken when I was first cheking that I could get online. Umm, I need to tidy up in here again.

More reports will follow I'm sure...

Raspberry Pi Preparations

I am currently in the queue to receive a Raspberry Pi. Apparently my machine is about 5 weeks away. So I have decided that I should begin making some preparations. I have downloaded an ISO image of Debian "squeeze" (the version with the LXDE desktop). So at least I should know my way round the OS in advance.

After installing the Debian ISO on a virtual machine, the first thing that I did was install the monodevelop IDE which I don't think will actually work on the Raspberry Pi ... but should enable me to try some things out and then just compile them from the command line on the Pi (hopefully).

Monodevelop seemed to work like a charm on Debian, so I grabbed my C# webserver example to try out some code.

Amazingly, the only real thing that I had to change was add the following delegate declaration:

public delegate TResult Func<in T1, out TResult>(T1 arg1);

...apart from that the code worked without any changes. Here is a screenshot of it all working:

So I am hopeful that I will be able to run my little slimline webserver on my Raspberry Pi when it arrives.