Virtual insults

It is entirely possible that I put a bit of weight on during my recent holiday. But in my defence the food was delicious...

The scary part is that even the internet seems to have noticed, I recently got this as a CAPTCHA question:

CAPTCHA: sizeable David

I reckon that when the internet starts hinting that you need to go on a diet then maybe it is time to pay attention :-)

Modula-2 and the PDP-11

When looking round a second-hand bookshop yesterday, I found this book on Modula-2:

front cover

I seemed to remember that there was some connection between the PDP-11 and the Modula-2 programming language, so I took a chance and bought the book for £1.  I spare no expense on my computer history collection :-) Anyway, now that I've had a chance to check, I found this "The first Modula-2 compiler was completed in 1979 and ran on the DEC PDP-11" (taken from here).  So it does seem like a worthwhile addition to my collection of PDP-11 related objects.  This pleases me.

...and for the sake of completeness, here is the back cover too (even showing the original price tag):

back cover

Windows Remote Management

Windows Command Shell

For a long time now, the software that I have been writing in my day job has been made up of a set of services running on multiple servers.  So when you want to do a full deploy you normally end up using Remote Desktop to log into various boxes and run your install routines.  This can quickly get tedious.  So recently I have been experimenting with Windows Remote Management to make this easier.  Essentially there are two parts: WinRM works on the server side and needs to be configured for each of the boxes you’re deploying to.  It is not very hard to set up.  On the client side you use WinRS (Remote Shell) which allows you to run commands on the remote machines.  To get some more details about it, look here.

This has made multiple-server deployments considerably easier.  I now have a single batch file that connects to all the various servers and runs the necessary install routines on each box.  So now I just run a batch file, sit back and relax...